My ex-husband is a military officer living overseas who makes a significant income. He is unwilling to supply his LES so I can determine if our child is due to receive child support according to our state’s guidelines. Can anyone provide help or suggestions other than letting an attorney handle this and charge me extra for research time due to unfamiliarity with military issues?
Thanks.

10 thoughts on “How can I get an updated copy of my ex-husband’s military LES to determine if child support is appropriate?

1. brwneyedgrl says:

ok first of all with out a court order to do so he doesnt "Need" to give u a copy of his LES so you have 2 choices.. either get a lawyer and have him legally ordered to turn over his financial records or go on google look up .. enlisted base pay guidline.. there will be a chart.. u go by what his pay rate is, and how many years he has in the service it will give u what his "base" pay is.. and that wont include if he’s getting clothing allowance, or housing allowance, etc.. but it would give you atleast a good estimate of what he’s making..

2. Cham says:

You can’t. It is his personal business and you have NO right to receive it. The ONLY proper way that you can receive it is through filing a suit either through an attorney/state enforcement agency or Pro Se and sending out the proper discovery.

This is not a military issue, it is a state law issue.

Edit:
    On the contrary Willa, it is not her business, which is why she cannot force him to turn the information over. It is the business of the state when the proper legal authorities are requesting the information for child support purposes. The state does not represent her interest, they represent the interest of the state and the child.

JAG has absolutely NOTHING to do with child support, it is a state court issue, not a military court issue. Calling JAG will accompish nothing.

If you don’t have proper and accurate legal advice, then don’t give it. You’re giving opinion based information, and opinions mean nothing in a court at law unless you are considered an expert in your field.

3. Willa says:

It’s definitely your business but you on your own can’t make him disclose his financial information. You have to get the court to order him to comply. You can go to the clerk of the court, ask for the paperwork required to file for a modification of child support, and file it with the court. Provide the court with the ex’s mailing address in the military and the court will notify him of your court filing and provide him with the financial paperwork he will have to submit. It’s not hard. If he gives you any trouble, call JAG and ask them for some help. If he’s an officer he will not want to hear from JAG.

4. Hmmmm..... says:

You cannot legally get anything of that nature. You can however request a re-evaluation of child support, he will have to provide them with a recent LES and they will determine if he owes you more. They will not tell you what it said though as that is not your business legally.

5. starfyer says:

My daughter isn’t getting the adequate child support either. Her ex is in the Navy and overseas. He lied to the court and hasnt provided a proper LES for 2 years. Basically they can run and the military hides them. They let them get away with it because they are not in the states. Sad for the children who suffer the consequences and lack of financial assistance from these so called fathers. While they play and run from responsib

6. starfyer says:

My daughter isn\’t getting the adequate child support either. Her ex is in the Navy and overseas. He lied to the court and hasnt provided a proper LES for 2 years. Basically they can run and the military hides them. Sad for the children who suffer the consequences and lack of financial assistance from these so called fathers. They run from responsiblities and these young women have put their dreams aside while raising the kid alone.

7. Jesse says:

Jag has no say in the matter and even though hes getting extra pay for being over seas the only part that can be taken from is his base pay. doesn’t matter if he makes 2,000 extra if his base pay is the same the payments stay the same.

8. Maines Ex Wife says:

It’s called being a woman and taking responsibility for YOUR ACTIONS! I am so sick of guys getting hung out to dry because they have kids with someone…it is as if these “women” today forget that they are financially responsible for their children too! Get out of LEACH MODE!! Be a woman and take care of your own!!!! Especially when it comes to military…seriously!! who was the DB wanting money from the Daddy who is currently serving overseas… Woman to woman…Get a job lady! You are too scandelous and give all woman a bad name!!!

9. julz says:

My child support order says my ex who is in the army has to provide me copies of his income statements. If he doesn’t then I just contact his parent who then makes him hand them over before I get to the next level of his superiors.. it is your right to know, so stand up for yourself and if your papers say the same thing then make his superiors aware. Also you can call dfas they people will give you all the info you need.

10. Oh no!!!! says:

Maines Ex Wife… I have worked through out my 15 year marriage. I was faithful throughout my 15 year marriage. My soon to be x is special forces. The deployments turn over fast and if they are not deployed they are training. I raised 2 children and I am still raising one. I did it virtually alone. Working, maintaining a home while trying to fill the emotional roll of both parents. When money was tight I was the one changing the oil in the car and repairing the washing machine. No family within 300 miles of our duty station. I can tell you from experience, With work outside the home or not, they are married to an active duty service member. The latter is more than a full time job. I will even admit that working outside the home was easier than being a house spouse. The isolation is a hardship within itself. Dependents sacrifice a hell of a lot for this country too. It is so sad in this day and time there are narrow minded people making idiotic statements. You have the audacity to stereotype people willing to give up their own dreams in order to raise decent children and support a spouse under the hardship of military life. Who are you to pass judgement on anyone? Did you live in their household? Do you have any wisdom or education that sets you a part from humans? Or are you lashing out because of personal issues? If you have nothing intelligent to say, might I suggest keeping your mouth shut!